Wednesday, March 30, 2011

NO MORE MATH!


This week I am going to post some of my favorite math lessons that I have come up with for my daughter, Torrance, who is in Kindergarten and learning addition and subtraction.  She does pretty well, but I always like to provide extra help.  The last thing she wants to do after school or during vacation is more math worksheets so I had to tap in to what she does like to do and turn it in to a math lesson.  Torrance loves penguins and she loves anything artsy.  I decided to put these two obsessions together and came up with a color by numbers math lesson.  It was so easy to do and she loved coloring her penguins.  I downloaded a couple of penguin coloring pages from the Internet.  I chose four colors that would be the primary colors used for the pages and made a code (i.e, 2= red, 3= green).  In each section that should be colored red I put addition problems that would equal two.  In each section that would be colored green I put addition problems that would equal three.  I made two pages for her, with a total of 8 colors and 8 possible solutions to addition problems.  This is such a simple math lesson.  You can use your child’s favorite coloring book or even draw your own pictures and write the equations in the appropriate sections to be colored.

No comments:

Post a Comment